What is a Craving?
It’s Only a Feeling
The Difference Between Cravings and Hunger
In the image above, you can see the clear differences between real hunger and a craving. Being very clear about the difference really can help you to respond differently and beat cravings before they take control of you and your weight. Feel free to print out this infographic and keep it to hand. It will help you to identify what you are feeling and discriminate between something which is a real hunger pang and something which is a craving.
How to Beat Cravings
Once you are aware which are cravings, and which are real hunger, here are my top tips to beat cravings when they do come along.
- Remind yourself that they won’t last long – don’t get caught in the trap of thinking that it won’t stop unless you eat.
- Ask yourself if you are really hungry (use the hunger scale you can find in Slim Habits Hypno to help to help!).
- Don’t listen to your internal saboteur which might be saying, ‘I want something to eat – go on get something’.
- Listen to the voice in your head which says, ‘This craving will go away in a minute or two’.
- Say to yourself ‘I don’t have to eat right now’.
- Be patient. This urge will stop shortly. Just wait a short time and it will go away.
- Have a glass of water (warm water or cold – work out which helps you best).
- Distract yourself and get busy. Before you realise it, the cravings will be gone.
- When the craving has passed, and you have not eaten, take a moment to celebrate and praise yourself. You have taken control with the power of your own mind and this is a big step to changing your relationship with food and your body.
In conclusion, cravings really can be a huge saboteur of your weight reduction efforts so it is key to beat cravings as soon as you can. If you need any help overcoming your cravings, please get in touch to book a complimentary consultation or ask me about Slim Habits Hypno Premium – the real alternative to dieting.